What is a partition agreement?

A partition agreement divides, or partitions, a married couple’s community estate into two separate estates. It is sometimes called a post-nuptial or post-marital agreement and is similar to a prenuptial agreement, except that it is executed by a married couple. There is no time limit on how long a couple can be married before executing a partition agreement. It can be suitable for a recently married couple or for someone in a marriage of many years. A partition agreement has the same effect as a prenuptial agreement. It creates two separate estates, and a spouse’s separate property cannot be awarded by a judge when a marriage ends. In many ways, it operates, has the same effect as, and can be modified the same way, as a prenuptial agreement.

If you are interested in a Partition Agreement and to learn how easily and reasonably you can convert your community estate into two separate estates, and get the peace of mind that comes with it, please fill out the form at the bottom of the Standard Partition Agreement page.

Return to Main Topic: Standard Postnuptial Agreement

More Information

Skip to content